Importance of nutrition in connection with ophthalmic is very great.
What you eat has great significance for both treatment response and the basis for improvement.
We depend on the major international AREDS study on diet, vitamins and minerals that provide a good basis for a comprehensive treatment process.
There are some rules of thumb that are useful to keep in mind with eye diseases and treatment thereof.
Basically we recommend to have a diet that contains a lot of fresh, highly colored vegetables.
Otherwise, this is the first points we often mention:
- Avoid processed foods from fast food etc..
- Reduce alcohol consumption
- Wear sunglasses when there is bright light or sunny outside
- Avoid smoking
- Increase intake of good fats; such as from olives and avocados
- Reduce intake of coffee
- Awareness of stress
- Increase physical activity if one is much still